Tuesday, April 20, 2010

To Bring Us Back

I will extol you, O LORD, for you drew me clear
and did not let my enemies rejoice over me.
O LORD, you brought me up from the netherworld;
you preserved me from among those going down into the pit.
--from Psalm 30


This week, we celebrated Good Shepherd Sunday, and for me, it's a very important weekend. The Third Sunday of Easter marks the day, liturgically, when I returned home to the Church. Of course, I didn't know that at the time, but in retrospect the irony makes me smile. I was much happier feeding on the grass from the other side, even though I was unsatisfied and flying by the seat of my pants more often than not.

It was also Family Day at Newman, and my parents both accompanied me to meet my friends--indeed, my second family--and chaplain. They also stayed for Mass, and their presence meant more to me than I can really articulate. I surprised them by playing piano, and they were both super impressed by the amount of work that goes into playing for a Mass. It's good to know that they'll always love and support me, even though we don't share that perspective quite yet. I'll keep praying.

Jesus is full of that same loving concern, only infinitely greater. He'd go to the ends of the earth and the depths of hell--and He did!--just to be with us through all of life's joys and sorrows. The humbling thing is that He still desires this regardless of whether we choose to recognize His Presence.

There are black sheep who have rejected Him outright, white ones who have never strayed, and then there are those like me...who, in the effort to be happier with the grass being greener, actually wander far, far away from home. By the time we realize, it's long past dark, we're lost and utterly alone.

Or are we?

He's always there. All we have to do is ask for the eyes of faith...these days, I know I am.

This is Paul Alan's "To Bring You Back." Its message is profound for this season. Please continue to pray for me and all those who are lost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Alycin and I miss you dearly.

Update this thing more often please! ;)