Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Suprised by Joy

Sometimes, if we read Sacred Scripture or things like the Catechism by themselves, they can seem very rigid. Legalistic. Unforgiving.

To the untrained eye, it can seem as f there is no room for grey areas in this Faith, no room for mercy. You know Him, and follow all of His commands to the letter, or you don't. You are saved, or you are damned. No wiggle room.

...Or is there?

Make no mistake, God does have a sense of justice and will employ it fairly. In no way am I saying that we should bank on His mercy and generosity, crossing our fingers and hoping we get off easy.

But what I'm beginning to learn, untying the knots of a lack of formation, is simple: Yes, God made the rules and gave us guidelines to lead us to Him. We, as finite creations and servants, are bound to them. But God, who transcends all things, is not.

In short: God can save whoever the heck He wants. ;) Even if that includes terrorists who never claimed to know Him. In the end, He is the one who decides.

Inspired by this truth, coupled with my firm belief that Jesus far prefers His role as the Divine Mercy to that of just judge, I have faith. I trust that His Mercy is far greater than our fallible judgments and tendency to condemn. And I believe in the power of intercession, fervent prayer, and redemptive suffering--things that make me grateful to be Catholic. They are gifts!

Knowing what I know of God, we're likely in for some big surprises at the end of things. :)

So if you are like I was, relax. Have faith. All manner of things will be well.

No comments: