Monday, April 6, 2009

Biblical Humor

Something to lighten up the undoubtedly heavy things to come this Holy Week:

My old student Bible I got from my Confirmation in 2003 pointed out to me this passage from Acts that really made me laugh!
On the first day of the week when we gathered to break bread, Paul spoke to them because he was going to leave on the next day, and he kept on speaking until midnight. There were many lamps in the upstairs room where we were gathered, and a young man named Eutychus who was sitting on the window sill was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. Once overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and when he was picked up, he was dead. (Acts 20:7-9)
It's really not supposed to be funny, but as my friend Catherine put it, "Maybe that's why homilies should never be more than fifteen minutes long!" That's almost as bad as the random man running naked in yesterday's Gospel...;)

No comments: