Monday, September 1, 2008

Introducing Tenth Avenue North

Well My love is over, it's underneath, it's inside, it's in between,
These times you're healing, and when your heart breaks,
The times that you feel like you're falling from Grace,
The times you're hurting, the times that you heal,
The times you go hungry and are tempted to steal...

In times of confusion and chaos and pain,
I'm there in your sorrow, under the weight of your shame.
I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm,
My love, I will keep you by My power alone...

--"Times" by Tenth Avenue North

Last summer, I had the opportunity to introduce you to Casting Crowns, and their now-hit album, The Altar and the Door. Now that summer is over, I thought I would pass along another recommendation, one that has never been far from my most played list this summer.

Tenth Avenue North, an indie Christian band based in West Palm Beach, CA, is definitely going to be a group to watch in the coming years. Their first album, Over and Underneath, debuted in late May, and without exaggeration, took my breath away.
"I think a lot of people are kind of fed up with Christian music, because while a lot of it deals with Truth, it doesn't deal at all with the wrestling--the struggling to believe that." --Mike Donehey, lead vocals
This struggling that Donehey mentions is the centerpiece of their album, and although the musical style fits neatly into the altrock genre, the lyrics can at times reach the darkest places in the Christian life, including feelings of isolation and abandonment by God.

The thing that makes Tenth Avenue North stand out to me is the continuous reference to having not just a relationship with Him, but truly loving and adoring Him. The songs Beloved and Lovesick (bonus track when you buy the CD on iTunes) have almost a mystical quality to their lyrics, imploring deep intimacy with God.

When all is said and done, you're left with a deep sense of how much God is willing to do for us, and how far His love really stretches. Great for worship, and also fantastic for just singing along and having fun.

Do yourself a big favor and go buy their CD--it's fantastic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.