Saturday, March 22, 2008

Grief Before Joy



Tonight, a friend sent me a message wishing me an early happy Easter, filled with a joy she couldn't contain to herself. It lifted my spirits on a day that anymore is so grim to me.

I love Easter. But I have to get through today before I can get there.

Today, the Savior of the world went to the Cross at Calvary. For each of our individual sins, and for the sins of our society, He endured every torture and the most intense pains of this world.

But why?

Why did He do it? How could He do it, when on every other day of the year we are so ungrateful?

Well, that part is simple. He loves us. He loved us then, and He loves us now.

It's for that, if anything, that I find myself mourning today. I'm so undeserving of His love...we all are. And yet He gave us the greatest gift He could--the gift of Himself. In Him we find love, mercy, and infinite grace...whether we deserve it or not.

Though I mourn the death of my Redeemer, I guess my friend is right. There's joy to be found deep within today's intensity...joy in knowing that we are loved beyond measure.

All I can do is thank Him for everything, and try to love Him back with a fraction of that depth.

It's a good thing He doesn't care if we're not perfect. :)

No comments: