Sunday, January 3, 2010

Out of Exile

I'm back! I wonder if anyone will notice. :)

My semester with Abide With Us is behind me now, and I can finally return to my first love, this blog. While I still can't guarantee frequent updates given my courseload, it's my intention for the new year to blog when I can. I need some sort of outlet for my creativity that's not newswriting, after all.

So much has changed since my last substantial post, and I can say with certainty that my personal and spiritual growth has been exponential since living away from home. I'm back in town on winter break for the time being, which gives me ample opportunities to reflect on all that's happened.

My university Newman Center is without a doubt the biggest blessing I could have received in transferring schools, more than the surprising ease of independent living or at least one compatible roommate. I have regular access to the Sacraments, can attend Mass three times a week, and live right down the street from the Blessed Sacrament. With the emotional turmoil of the last few months, it's safe to say that the Eucharist has kept me sane. More than that, though, I found fellowship with people that really, truly understand why this Faith is so important to me. They live it just as passionately as I do. It's a welcome change, having allies.

I'm single, and though that decision came a few months ago now, it's one that will take me a good while to process. My vocation is still to marriage, of that much I'm mostly sure...but now I'm left to learn what it means to be alone with Him. My entire journey with God (as a Catholic) has taken place within the span of that relationship, and it's only now that I realize how often I leaned on the gentleman instead of on Love Himself. It was a reasonable flaw that can be expected, I suppose. My faith still has all of the ups and downs it did, but now, He is my sole partner, at least for this season. It's a challenge, but one I'm growing stronger for.

"There is a time for everything," Ecclesiastes says. It will be interesting to see where this new leg of the race will lead me.

Peace in the new year! More to come.

1 comment:

Denise Fath said...

The Newman Center at my college also had an amazing affect on my life! It can be really tough (especially at that age!) to find others who care about their faith - and those involved in the Newman group are such amazing people!

So even if you feel on your own without a significant other - you're never really totally alone - because you're surrounded by such an awesome community! Enjoy it! Sadly there are many Catholics out there who wish such community existed in their parishes. God bless!