Saturday, May 26, 2007

Limelight?

I told my mom when she picked me up from Mass today that it might be good to attend the other parish next week. The ladies at my Church are starting to talk. ;)

Remember the woman I've mentioned a few times before, who went out of her way to make me feel welcome at my first Mass following my reversion? Well, I've been doing my best to say hello and talk to her whenever I can.

Today, when I came out of the confessional and finished my prayers, she came over to my pew.

"So, you're graduating with honors?"

Okay, that's weird. She, as far as I knew, didn't even know my name. She goes on by saying she'd seen me on the local TV station that had shown my school's moving up ceremonies. That would explain it. We made small talk, and she goes back to her seat.

A few minutes later, I hear a loud whisper: "...and she had a really good time at her prom last night."

Oh, great. She's told all of her friends about me. They'll all know my name and everything else about me by next week. I shudder to think about what they'd do if I ever brought a guy with me to Mass! Heh.

I lean up to see her across the aisle. "Hey, Barbara!" I call in a loud whisper, "stop talking about me!" She and her lady-friends cackle like ducks. Hoo boy...

Hehe, I usually love the limelight, but not this time! I guess it can't be helped, considering I'm the only person under 30 that goes to the Saturday night Mass...

(Sometimes, I'm convinced that the young Catholics I've met on Phatmass are actually from another planet. Either that, or it's something in the taco sauce. ;))

Maybe I'll get lucky and God will hook me up with some people close to my own age. That'd be nice... :)

No comments: